Moving is not an event—but a process. A Senior Move Manager is a professional who specializes in assisting older adults and their families with both the physical and emotional obstacles of later life moves. Most senior moves involve downsizing, with hundreds of decisions to be made as a lifetime of belongings and memories are sorted through. Senior Move Mangers have extensive, practical knowledge about the costs, quality, and availability of local resources.
What does a senior move manager do?
Senior move management requires a profound commitment to connecting with older adults. Services are client-centered and personalized to promote the client’s dignity and autonomy in the process of a major lifestyle move. Although specific services may vary, a Senior Move Manager can help with some or all of the following:
- Develop an overall move plan
- Space planning to determine what will fit in a new, downsized home
- Hands-on help to downsize the client’s belongings before the actual packing and moving begins
- Completely unpack and resettle the client—meaning the living room, bedroom, kitchen and bath are set up for immediate daily living. Replicating aspects of the old home in the new environment can be very comforting for older adults and is the hallmark of a senior move manager.
- Arrange for the disposal of unwanted household items through auction, estate sale, consignment, donation, or a combination of the above.
The goal of a Senior Move Manager is to provide the older adult with a seamless, successful transition to a new home—making each client feel at home the moment they walk through their new front door.